Sunday, April 4, 2010

Worst Beat Ever?

So this happened at my weekly sit-n-go, night before my birthday, a couple weeks ago, but I suspect the memory will linger well into the after-life.

The set-up:

a. I'd already re-bought, having lost my initial buy-in to the guy to my right hitting back-to-back spade flushes on me;

b. Everyone else...I mean, really, EVERYONE else...was scooping huge pots with Big Slick that night.

So to the hand: I had about $9K (out of a buy-in of $20K) (for the uninitiated - these are TOURNAMENT figures; each buy-in is $20). We were approaching the end of the rebuy period, so the villain across the table from me apparently decided he'd rather rebuy and begin the second half with $20K than the shaky $10K he had, so he went all-in with 7-3 off-suit, which - again, for the uninitiated - is probably the second or third worst possible pre-flop hand. Everyone folded except me, with my seemingly unbeatable A-K (arguably among the TOP five hands pre-flop, despite being a notorious loser. My favorite nickname for it is "Anna Kournikova", explained to me by an old gentleman at a Commerce table: "Looks pretty, but never wins.").

So I flip my gold, he flips his garbage, everyone chuckles heartily at the schmattering that was clearly about to ensue...and I'll let the photo take it from here, adding only that this is one of several photos taken, as the final card prompted practically the entire group to leap to their seats and whip out their camera-phones.

Yup. It's that bad.

Enjoy.



Coda:

After this massacre, partly because it was my birthday eve, and partly out of sheer, heartbreaking sympathy, my buds let me bend the rules and do a SECOND rebuy after this hand. Within minutes, my pocket K's were topped by pocket A's, and I was done.

Happy birthday!

So what's YOUR worst beat ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment